View Single Post
Old 04-19-2005, 11:03 AM   #8
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Just a few very quick thoughts.

I really would be hesitant to base any notion of Frodo’s inner character on his impulses in tight spots. Even a saintly person can experience similar thoughts, but it is what is ultimately done that is the true proof of mental or moral strength.

It has been mentioned that Faramir might represent Frodo’s our inner voice, his misgivings. perhaps there is a bit of a parallel between Faramir and Frodo, both are in seemingly helpless situations and led by individuals who have become corrupted by Sauron’s power indirectly. Yet both Frodo and Faramir are committed to their duty and go forward despite the odds. It seems that Faramir’s dialog hints at his own decisions as well.

Finally, the mention of the palantir at the end is interesting to me. Through these last few chapters I have been debating whether Faramir knew about the seeing stone in Minas Tirith. For if he did it might have some bearing on why he would pass up the Ring, having seen what the palantir did to his father. (Plus the Ring was called Isildir's Bane for heavens sake, not Isildir’s pride and joy!)
Hilde Bracegirdle is offline   Reply With Quote