View Single Post
Old 04-18-2005, 11:43 AM   #2
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar
This is a chapter full of ominous foreboding, though nothing actually happens.
This chapter is probably my least favourite in the entire LotR. Nothing actually happens. There's no really memorable blocks of dialogue, there's no real peril, and by this point in the story, I'm pretty much full of "travelling" passages.

This doesn't preclude the fact that there ARE good parts to the chapter. The hopeful image of the fallen king's head is one of the parts that really sticks with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estelyn Telcontar
One concerns Faramir – despite not having slept, he does not look weary. Is there a reason for that? It seems more like an Elven characteristic than a human one.
Well, Faramir IS of slight Elven descent, via Finduilas (his mother) of Dol Amroth, and the Elven lineage was apparently still very clear in his uncle Imrahil. Maybe it's also a manifestation of his Numenorean heritage as well. I'm reminded, for some reason, of Denethor's sleeping in chainmail to keep himself fit.

Of course, it could just be that being a Ranger has given him a lot of practice at going without sleep, and he is sufficiently skilled to hide his fatigue when necessary. At times to inspire courage in his men, maybe. Or possibly so as not to show signs of weakness to his enemies, be they Gondorians or Orks. I can easily see a young Faramir pretending not to be tired so as to impress his father.