View Single Post
Old 04-03-2005, 12:47 PM   #2
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Getting in quickly......

I am sure that I will shove my oar in frequently on this chapter as I am, as some of you are only too aware, a devoted fan of Faramir. Alas this will not be a detailed post as the books are not with me, but there are two points that I want to raise.

Firstly, though I have often posted on various threads and in various contexts, here about how Faramir seems to be a true Numenorean but it was only when looking at this chapter specifically that I realised that the title "The Window on the West" could be a description of Faramir as well as the translation of Henneth Annun. There is more I could say on this - but I would prefer to be able to refer to the text - in the meanwhile anyone so inclined is more than welcome to pick up this ball and run with it

The second point may belong elsewhere, but I have just reread the biography,I came across the extract from Tolkien's diary on Faramir's arrival, ‘I am sure I did not invent him, I did not even want him, though I like him, but there he came walking through the woods of Ithilien’. So who did?

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote