View Single Post
Old 03-26-2005, 03:39 PM   #14
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendė
Yet just as we are feeling safe and that the Hobbits are in a benevolent part of Middle Earth, Sam finds the Orcs' fire and we are not only reminded of the ever present peril they are in, but we get another reminder of how Sauron's servants have despoiled a beautiful place.
Interestingly enough, this passage you refer to always makes me think about camping- and littering.

The actions of the Orks seem highly reminiscent of so many people's attitudes and actions towards the environment: a great big playground/trashcan for their own personal enjoyment.

It's well known that Tolkien read Orkish attitude in a great deal of modern society, particularly in the area of machines and technology. Have we got another example of modern Orkishness here?

Actually, when Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli are following the Ork trail, I am struck in much the same way.