View Single Post
Old 03-15-2005, 08:23 PM   #16
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essex
This has also given me another reason to re-read the books re how EARLY did Gollum's plan enter his head to kill the hobbits? Why on earth would he lead them to mordor? I suppose the oath has something to do with it, but gollum's not stupid, I think we can be fairly sure of that. Why on earth would he think the hobbits wanted to venture into mordor with the ring? to either fight or give up the ring.
Well, Gollum may even have suspected it. Surely he suspected SOMETHING, and I doubt if he thought about that something without misgivings, but he was surely smart enough to see that he couldn't dissuade Frodo, but at the same time he didn't dare leave the Ring once he had finally found it. He HAD to go with Frodo to stay near it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essex
come to think of it, how do gandalf and elrond know this - or was it an educated guess?)

I still stick to the idea that it was the fact that the fires of Orodruin welled up from the heart of the earth - the very place where Eru had sent the Secret Fire to 'dwell'. therefore it was actually a 'Holy' place, misused by Sauron, but that its 'holiness' could overcome the power put into it, therefore it had to be brought to that one particular place.
Another possibility is foresight. Elrond, Gandalf, Galadriel, every other Dunadan, they all seem to be gifted with this. Perhaps it was a revelation of Iluvatar. Perhaps it was a part of the lore that Saruman and Gandalf brought out of the West. Perhaps they remembered a small part of the Ainulindale. Who knows?