View Single Post
Old 03-02-2005, 02:51 AM   #6
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davem
If we are to attribute the power of healing to the rope should we not also attribute to it the power to hurt? Perhaps Gollum really is harmed by the rope & the Lembas. If so, what does that tell us about the nature of things made by Elvish hands?
Interesting point, davem! To hurt someone would usually be seen as a negative aspect, but I don't think that can be attributed to the Elven objects, which are intrinsically good. I would rather imagine it like light, which can be so bright in its purity that it hurts eyes not accustomed to it. We know that looking directly at the sun can cause blindness, but that does not make the sun evil. Since the ability to emanate light is attributed to the Elven rope, that comparison seems appropriate.

I'm not sure what comparison would work for the lembas, though...
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote