View Single Post
Old 02-21-2005, 04:26 PM   #86
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Hírvegil's Plan

It did not take Hírvegil long to find the Elves and the boy who was supposedly going to accompany them. He found them saddled up on the outskirts of camp and, looking disheveled and tired, hurried up to them, trying to maintain a look of dignity as he addressed the three Elves and the Dúnadan. “My noble friends,” he said, outstretching his hands, “I know you are busy at the moment, but I must intrude. I have to speak with Master Faerim.”

The boy looked taken aback (by either the fact or the title applied to him), but the Elves gave him their usual monotone looks. “You know we are leaving, then?” said Gaeredhel quietly. “Yes,” responded the Captain with serene grace, “secrets are had to keep in a camp as small as this. I know I cannot dissuade you from your course now that I know of it, and I fear I have not the time to send aid with you, for the lord of this camp and my officers are still discussing the matter – resolution will not come soon enough. I know your choice is made but, if I may, I would like a chance to speak with my kinsman before he leaves at your side. I wish to offer him thanks and parting words, if I may”

Gaeredhel glanced suspiciously at Faerim. “If he so wishes.” The boy took a moment (one of impatience for Hírvegil) to respond, but in the end agreed. “I will.” He said, and dismounted. Rôsgollo took his horse carefully as Hírvegil, with a glimmer of a grin, led Faerim back. The young man became a bit more wary as Hirvegil led him conspiratorially away from the Elves, but did not refuse Hírvegil’s hand. As the two stopped, farther from the watchful Elven eyes, Hírvegil began.

“Alright, lad, I ask you to listen to what I say now very carefully.” Hírvegil's voice lowered in volume immensely, for he knew how well the Eldar heard earthly sounds. He spoke in a consistent whisper.

“Captain Hírvegil?” Faerim looked surprised, and, if Hírvegil had been in a more perceptive mood, he might’ve noticed the well-masked worry on the young man’s face. He did not; far too busy pretending to be brisk and energetic himself. “That is my name, last I checked.” He said, with a good-natured smirk on his face, well meaning but enigmatic. Faerim did not share his false merriment. “What brings you here?” asked the boy. Hirvegil, his grin fading idly, dove on into his pre-prepared address. “I wanted to speak with you.” He began simply, “After our “collision” earlier, I was unable to treat with you in the presence of the Elves. Now I can thank you properly for your aid, which was much appreciated. I have no wealth at the moment to repay you, but perhaps I have a job for you instead.”

“Captain,” the boy responded, “I fear I won’t be able to any jobs for you in the immediate future.” But Hirvegil was not daunted. “Oh, but you will.” He said, a clever glint in his aged eye, “You are going with the Elves.” Faerim saw this as a statement of fact, but still had to digest it. “Well, yes.” He said, but Hírvegil plowed on. “No need to hide the fact now, boy.” He said, assuring, “Now then, you are going with the Elves. I must assume that this is your own choice, yes?” “I thought so. I shall not make you remain, as I should, but I will instead reward you in this way. You may serve your people by doing one simple thing for me.”

Faerim did not really reply to this. He seemed to understand the situation, but indicated neither agreement nor disagreement. Irked but steady, Hírvegil continued. “It will be some days before you and your new companions overtake the orc raiders. Some distance behind you, there will be scouts and trackers of mine, a small party, trailing the Elves. On the eve that you reach the orc encampment, light torches in your camp. If the orc host you face is of great size, light only one; if it is small enough to be handled by the Elves, light two, and if the Elves plan to turn back, for whatever reason, light three; if the Elves could manage the orcs with some assistance, light four. Is that clear?”

The young Dunadan again looked noncommittal, but posed a question before replying in earnest. “Pardon my asking,” he said, with polite hesitation, “but, why? Can you not simply send soldiers with the Elves now?” Hirvegil grimaced inwardly, but maintained outward patience.

“Forgim-” “Faerim” (Faerim corrected) “Yes, of course – Faerim, this matter is one too complex to discuss in the short allotment of time we have. Suffice to say, this group could not stand the loss of many soldiers. If I was to send troops with the Elves, they would be resigned to their fate. If they encountered a great many orcs, they would be decimated, if not worse, which would be a terrible detriment to the journey ahead of our people, yours and mine. If the Elves can handle them, there is no use in wasting good men. If the orcs are many, than the mission is suicide anyway, and sending men to their deaths would be folly. With your help, a major loss could be avoided. Your service would be invaluable.”

Now the Dunadan seemed bitten by confusion, with a hint of anger brought on by Hírvegil’s plan. “So, you would let the Elves hasten to their deaths while your men stand near enough to save them?” The Captain let himself grimace outwardly this time, and stood up sternly, his pleasant features straightening into his soldierly sour look. “Faerim, who do you serve, the King or the Elves? If you do this, I will reward you with anything and everything that is in my power to give. This is the chance of a lifetime for you, lad, I suggest you take it. My men will follow the Elves whether or not you do this thing, and you will receive your reward if it is done, but if you reveal what I have said to the Elves, I will have no choice but to charge you with treason and, as a soldier, ill conduct and espionage, as far as your little escapade earlier. I am not a harsh man, or a demanding one. Do this not for me, but for yourself, and your people. They are depending on you. Good day.”

He turned, now, not waiting for an answer, to the Elves on their steeds nearby, and gave them a bow of farewell. “And good day to you all.” He said, loud enough for them to hear, “I wish you luck in your mission, and hope you return to us with the quarry you seek in tow. I wish I could have sent my assistance with you, but I am bound by my duties to the crown at present. Again, good fortune to you, and especially to you, Faerim.” He almost winked, but knew the Elves would see it, so he simply smiled heartily and waited for the motley quartet to depart.

Last edited by Kransha; 02-21-2005 at 06:14 PM.