View Single Post
Old 02-17-2005, 03:08 PM   #7
Lalwendė
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendė is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Suddenly another voice spoke, low and melodious, its very sound an enchantment. Those who listened unwarily to that voice could seldom report the words that they heard; and if they did, they wondered, for little power remained in them. Mostly they remembered only that it was a delight to hear the voice speaking, all that it said seemed wise and reasonable, and desire awoke in them by swift agreement to seem wise themselves. When others spoke they seemed harsh and uncouth by contrast; and if they gainsaid the voice, anger was kindled in the hearts of those under the spell. For some the spell lasted only while the voice spoke to them, and when it spoke to another they smiled, as men do who see through a juggler's trick while others gape at it. For many the sound of the voice alone was enough to hold them enthralled; but for those whom it conquered the spell endured when they were far away, and ever they heard that soft voice whispering and urging them. But none were unmoved; none rejected its pleas and its commands without an effort of mind and will, so long as its master had control of it.
This description of exactly how Saruman's voice works on the minds of listeners reminds me very much of hypnotism, something which I have practised myself, and had done to me in return. During hypnosis, it is important to keep the voice extremely low and soft, only raising it once you wish the person being hypnotised to 'wake'. The process depends on the psychological willingness of the person who is undergoing hypnosis. Here Tolkien describes exactly the different effects of various people when undergoing the technique. Some seem to lack total control and are very open to suggestion, while others are only partially open to the technique. The third group Tolkien mentions seem to be those who we might see on one of these (in my opinion, exploitative) TV shows and hence highly vulnerable to such persuasion. Finally Tolkien says how it took great will power to resist entirely; this is the only instance where his description diverges from real hypnosis, as a significant number of people simply cannot accept the process.

In terms of Middle Earth, I think Tolkien is here describing the effects of sanwe to a certain extent. Saruman here is openly talking rather than projecting thought in any way (although this could also be going on) and he is talking mostsly to Men, who seem the most susceptible to the technique. Gimli resists, and we do not know the reactions of Legolas or the Hobbits, but Saruman is clearly used to talking to men and knows what words to use to persuade them.

There is the distinct possibility that Saruman is simply extremely skilled with words, as his statements seem carefully constructed, bringing to mind the way that managers are trained to broach bad news to their staff, by coating criticism in sweeter words. Saruman even begins a plea to Gandalf by offering an apology, followed swiftly by criticism, and then by flattery. It is a classic case of a 'bad news sandwich':

Quote:
I fear that in my eagerness to persuade you, I lost patience. And indeed I regret it. For I bore you no ill-will; and even now I bear none, though you return to me in the company of the violent and the ignorant. How should I? Are we not both members of a high and ancient order, most excellent in Middle-earth?
The same effect is seen in the following:

Quote:
But if I am a murderer on that account, then all the house of Eorl is stained with murder; for they have fought many wars, and assailed many who defied them. Yet with some they have afterwards made peace, none the worse for being politic.
Saruman certainly relies upon confusing those who listen to him, and couching criticism within more pleasant words is a good way of doing this. In a meeting with Saruman it would be wise to take a tape recorder, or else have the capacity for memory that Gandalf has:

Quote:
But you, Saruman, I understand now too well. I keep a clearer memory of your arguments, and deeds, than you suppose.
I was thinking again about Grima in this chapter. Why does he throw the palantir from Orthanc? It is clear he was aiming at either Saruman or Gandalf, and as Aragorn says he could possibly not decide which wizard he hated more. He would hate Gandalf as he was the catalyst for ruining all his plans and hopes, but he would also hate Saruman as he had failed to deliver what he had promised in return for his treachery. Perhaps the palantir was an object symbolic of his frustration, as its easy to imagine Grima lurking while Saruman consulted the stone, perhaps thinking that this was at the root of his ruined schemes. For Grima there is now no going back to his old life, as his treachery was exposed back in Edoras:

Quote:
See, Theoden, here is a snake! With safety you cannot take it with you, nor can you leave it behind. To slay it would be just. But it was not always as it now is. Once it was a man, and did you service in its fashion.
Yet he was obviously a man of some influence even before Saruman 'bought' him. He seems to have been a part of Theoden's court, possibly he was even an adviser. His name and ancestry are known:

Quote:
"The wise speak only of what they know, Grima son of Galmod. A witless worm have you become. Therefore be silent, and keep your forked tongue behind your teeth. I have not passed through fire and death to bandy crooked words with a serving-man till the lightning falls."
What drove him to this? It seems in this chapter that he has finally realised his mistake and he attempts to kill either Saruman or Gandalf. It would not matter which he killed, as the removal of either would benefit him. If he killed Gandalf then he and his master could resume their plans; if he killed Saruman then he might be seen to have redeemed himself and so earn pity.

The contrast between Grima and Saruman is clear. Grima is confused and desperate and attempts to get himself out of the situation, even if he has no clear idea of exactly how to do this. Saruman is clearly still a little shocked at what the Ents have done:

Quote:
You may find the Shadow of the Wood at your own door next: it is wayward, and senseless, and has no love for Men.
But what prevents Saruman from attempting to save himself is his pride. He fears Sauron, and possibly also Gandalf, but more than this, he fears to walk out of Orthanc without his power and status, to become a mere worm like Grima.