View Single Post
Old 01-20-2005, 11:35 PM   #15
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nuranar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nuranar
Lissi

Lissi had rarely wished to be taller than she was, but this was one of those times. If she could only see! Faerim was tall, and his fair hair should have stood out. Then why couldn't she find him? What if he- No! she told herself sternly, frowning and pressing her lips together, even as her eyes never ceased searching. You're going to look until there's no other- There!

"Faerim!" Catching up her skirt she broke into a run, slipping nimbly through the crowd, and caught her son in her arms. Thank you, thank you!

Abruptly he stepped back, hands on her shoulders and concern all over his face. "Mother - Brander - where is he? Are you both safe? They are going to evacuate us from the city, to the Northern Downs. The elves are here, they - is Brander alright?"

Lissi smiled up at her son. "Brander is quite safe, we are both safe, even Morn. I left him further back in the Sanctum. As I was searching for you I heard people talking about an escape. Come with me, we must rejoin him." Faerim's mouth opened as she turned, but before he made a sound Lissi stopped. "Wait! The woman, and her child - are they...?"

Faerim nodded reassuringly, gestured to the silent figure beyond him. "This is Renedwen, mother."

Lissi's quick grey eyes took in the stranger, noticed her tired regal bearing, her fine clothing, and the child in her arms; the lines of misery that marred her beautiful face and the bewildered agony of grief looking out of her blue eyes. She was not young, but she seemed so forlorn and vulnerable that Lissi's heart was wrung. Impulsively she embraced her. "Come with us, dear," she said softly. "You will be safe with us."

Renedwen's mouth twisted suddenly, as if with some poignant emotion. "Thank you," she said, in a low voice. Lissi squeezed her hand, and turned to Carthor's horse to give Renedwen a moment of privacy.

"Come on, Faerim," she said a moment later, "Brander is this way." As the three made their slow struggle through the crowd, leading the horses, Lissi gradually worked her way to Faerim's side. "Son," she breathed softly, in a very controlled voice, "have you heard anything of your father?" Her eyes shone very bright, all the anxiety and emotion of the day only there finding expression.

Last edited by piosenniel; 06-19-2005 at 02:01 PM.