View Single Post
Old 12-22-2004, 03:14 AM   #13
A_Brandybuck
Haunting Spirit

A_Brandybuck has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to A_Brandybuck Send a message via AIM to A_Brandybuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by davem
'I always felt something ought to be done about the peculair Anglo-Saxon word ent'. Note, not 'something could be done' but ought to be done.
I have used this quote already in the Chapter-by-Chapter-section, but it is helpful here, too.
This is from a footnote in Letter #163.

Take the Ents, for instance. I did not consciously invent them at all. The chapter called 'Treebeard', from Treebeard's first remark on p. 66, was written off more or less as it stands, with an effect on my self (except for labour pains) almost like reading some one else's work. And I like Ents now because they do not seem to have anything to do with me. I daresay something had been going on in the 'unconscious' for some time, and that accounts for my feeling throughout, especially when stuck, that I was not inventing but reporting (imperfectly) and had at times to wait till 'what really happened' came through. But looking back analytically I should say that Ents are composed of philology, literature, and life. They owe their name to the eald enta geweorc of Anglo-Saxon, and their connexion with stone. Their pan in the story is due, I think, to my bitter disappointment and disgust from schooldays with the shabby use made in Shakespeare of the coming of 'Great Birnam wood to high Dunsinane hill': I longed to devise a setting in which the trees might really march to war. And into this has crept a mere piece of experience, the difference of the 'male' and 'female' attitude to wild things, the difference between unpossessive love and gardening.

Tolkien describes en detail, where the word ent came. He also described, that he included them 'unconsciously'. Thus he included them not deliberately. Not until with hindsight he knew, where they came from.
But davem's conclusion could fit still. That have to do with Tolkien style of writing. The story came often from his mind 'unconsciously'. I cannot explain that very well, but I hope you will understand.
davem said, that he did create the ents, because it fits an Anglo-Saxon mythology. Tolkien was very interested in all kinds of mythologies and old Anglo-Saxon literature. So he read a lot and knew a lot. Regarding the style of writing, his mind could have included the aspect of trees marching to war 'unconsciuously' based of the experiences he had with the literature. Not until after that he noticed what he had done.
The key-aspect is here, his style of writing. He wrote all down without knowing, where it came. He often said, that the story has developed itself.
Hope you understand what I wanted to say. ;-)