View Single Post
Old 11-17-2004, 03:57 PM   #13
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Korak's face burnt with rage at the obvious insolence in his cousin's voice concerning the necklace. Was she daring to think that he actually loved the Princess? Did she think the necklace was the result of sentimental feelings? A quiver passed through him, but he showed no exterior sign of his anger, save the colouring of his face. Rather he gestured for her to sit down, and he poured some wine from a golden pitcher that sat upon the low table in the corner.

"Feast now, my Lady," he said, his eyes hard upon her, "and I will tell you what I think." A mocking smile twisted and distorted his handsome face. "Fear not. The wine is not poisoned."

"I had no fear of such a thing," she replied, with coldness, and a smile of her own, likewise full of insolence. Yet she did not touch the wine.

He himself sat, and leaned back, completely at ease. He never went to his cousin's home when he could help it, for he felt powerless there. Here, in his own abode, it was different. He could play cat and she would be the mouse, and he had nothing to fear from her. He could be master, and she would be lower than he. He studied her, but she showed no signs of uneasiness. A flush of annoyance came to his face at this. She seemed completely comfortable. She did not look in the least intimidated. He straightened, and spoke briefly.

"I do not even know who this Emissary is. All I know is that the banquet provides me with a perfect opportunity to raise the King's esteem for me."

"As well as the regard of the Princess?" questioned the Lady, and she glanced at the necklace.

Lord Korak's face burned a deeper red, and a vein stood out on his forehead. "As far as I care for her regard," said he. "As husband of the Princess I will be given the perfect chance to become King."

The Lady's eyebrows raised. "Is it wise to tell me that?"

Korak paused, and fumbled with his words for a moment. No, he did not think it wise. The Lady was now in a perfect position to tell the Princess exactly why he wanted to marry her, and women were so sentimental. The Princess may refuse him, as she had every right to do. But Korak would not show this new-founded concern to his cousin, despite his deep and angry regret that he had spoken so without thought. He laughed in her face. "I do not fear you as a competitor for the Princess' hand," he said. "I see no lack of wisdom in what I have said."