View Single Post
Old 11-05-2004, 08:03 AM   #14
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
The Eye

Hmmm. I think the time I started a thread on Archery. It was supposed to be a thread about Tolkien fandom and archery, and whether being a LOTR fan (or an elf-fancier) would make one more apt to take up archery, and then it was supposed to segue into how all those archers (I assumed there would be many) made their archery as elvish as humanly possible.

Unfortunately for my ego all that lovely correlation to Tolkien and his elves was in my head, and not in the opening post. I blandly and bumblingly opened with something like, "Hey, how many other archers do we have here on the Downs?"

The thread was immediately pounced on by several veterans as being completely and totally non-Tolkien related. I felt that I was being buried in an avalanche of laughter, indignation, and disgust from people I loved and respected-- who knew that I knew better.

What could I say? My opening post had given them no other options. I begged the Wight to delete the thread and save me further embarassment. He graciously did so.

Last edited by mark12_30; 11-05-2004 at 09:10 AM. Reason: two more smilies.
mark12_30 is offline   Reply With Quote