Thread: LotR - Foreword
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2004, 12:15 PM   #52
Mister Underhill
Dread Horseman

Mister Underhill has been trapped in the Barrow!
I for one am not refuting the religious influence in LotR or the obvious (and perhaps not so obvious) symbolic connections. I think, however, that you might be overreaching in your close correlation between Tolkien's religion and his fiction, moving it beyond symbolism and into allegory: lembas equals the Host.

I see your Letter and raise you:
Quote:
Theologically (if the term is not too grandiose) I imagine the picture to be less dissonant from what some (including myself) believe to be the truth. But since I have deliberately written a tale, which is built on or out of certain 'religious' ideas, but is not an allegory of them (or anything else), and does not mention them overtly, still less preach them, I will not now depart from that mode, and venture on theological disquisition for which I am not fitted.

When Tolkien denies allegorical intent, both here in the Foreword and in many other places, I don't see why we shouldn't take him at his word. He understood that implicit expressions of the truth as he saw it -- through the actions and decisions and attitudes of his characters -- would be far more persuasive (not to mention accessible and applicable) than overt sermonizing and allegory.
Mister Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote