View Single Post
Old 10-17-2002, 07:13 AM   #31
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Maril,

I agree with a number of your suggestions on ways we might consider structuring such mentored games in the future.

Because there were only three per delegation, things get critical if one backs out. This happened with Harad, and is the reason why I ended up being a character instead of an onlooker and critic. I'm enjoying it, however, and do not have any gripes about changing my role.

Also, our own delegation chose the option of splitting into two subgroups rather than acting as a unified whole. Looking back, I would do that differently now.

I know Mithadan was concerned about giving too many posters to any one mentor so they would not find themselves burdened under a heavy workload. Ironically, however, I think that more problems come when you have too few posters! My preference would be to see five per group.

Twenty-one days? That may be too short. Let's split the difference at 30.

I also think it would be helpful if we tried this in the summer when younger posters are free from school and homework. I know it isn't always easy to juggle things. Plus, there are always parents. I know since I am one! I have no parent gently batting me on the head to prod me off of the computer. But many out there do.

If I did this again, I would not want to be writing for a central character. Instead, I would be directing the interference and complications for my group, e.g., acting as the pirate ship that raids along the Anduin, or the hawk who eats the pigeon Urken is sending through with a message. I would enjoy such a role, and it would help to focus the action and push the story forward.

One other aside about the "13-posts" of Pio on the Star last weekend. We are mean, cruel taskmasters down there, but we're not that bad! The 13-posts were a collaborative cut and paste effort that took three of us several hours of planning, writing, communicating, and editing. Pio was quite definitely in that mix, and, after editing, pasted in the final posts. So she was collapsing under the table, but at least she had one or two friends collapsing with her as well!

We are seeing the end of that very long story, and I think it's a bit like the horse smelling the hay in the barn.

sharon

[ October 17, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]