View Single Post
Old 10-22-2002, 11:16 AM   #309
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

***** DALE - Innkeeper *****

Bram laughed and looked at the silent Stonehelm. 'Who sent these young pups to bargain for a man's boat?' he asked.' He turned back to Girion, the Elf having gone off to see to his newly returned companion.

'The ship is yours for the asking, young sir. It rightfully belongs to Dale. A certain man named Jarl, travels through here occasionally, and he asked me on behalf of King Bard to keep the ship in readiness for aught that it might be needed.' He eyed the young prince. 'Dale has always traded fair with us, and I said that I would do that for him.'

Stonehelm smiled at this answer, while Girion looked perplexed. 'You mean we might have had it all along? Why give us so much trouble about it then?' the prince asked.

'It's not something to be given lightly, even to one such as yourself. I wished to see if you knew anything about piloting such a vessel. And I found that you did not. You asked only to hire the ship. Naught about someone knowledgable to captain it down a river that I would think none of you knew much about. And then, of course, there is the question of the first mate to assist the captain.' He eyed the entire group, and laughed. 'Begging your pardons, sir, but none of you look as if you had spent much time working on a ship, much less travelling on one.' This last remark was aimed at both the Elves and Dwarves.

'And as for the offer being named a trade representative for Dale, that is what I am already, by the grace of King Bard.' He looked at Girion. You would have known that, had you taken time to ask your Father or the Head of the Merchant Guild for particulars about possible contacts.'

He sighed, and sat down on the stool behind the bar. 'I have been waiting for you for at least a week now. The King sent a messenger bird to me, detailing your mission and how you might need my assistance. All is in readiness for you. The ship sits ready to sail, supplies have been taken on board. There is even a place where you might keep safe your ponies. Though it is larger than I thought you might need - I had expected you to come more quickly by horse.'

And the Captain you mentioned,' asked Stonehelm, 'would that be you, by any chance?'

Bram laughed deeply at this remark. 'My good Dwarf, what a compliment!' He wiped a mirthful tear from his eye. 'Nay, your Captain lives a days journey downriver. He knows we are coming. We will pick him up there, tomorrow.'

'We?!' said Girion, arching his eyebrows at the Innkeeper.

'Yes, you won't be rid of me that easy, young master! I shall be the first mate, and pilot the ship down to the good Captain's place on the river.'

Bram came out from behind the bar, a large seagoing bag gripped in one hand and his cudgel in the other. All the companions' eyes had now turned to him. 'It's good that you have not yet unloaded all your wares and belongings. We have a fair wind this late afternoon, and the current runs with us.' He called to his wife in the kitchen that he was going. She came out wiping her floury hand on her apron and gave him a farewell kiss and a promise to watch well over the Inn.

Let's go gentlemen . . . and m'lady." he said, nodding his head to the fair Elf maid. 'Our ship awaits us, as does the King in Minas Anor.'

He led them out and down to where the ship was docked, their protests and grumblings unheeded. His eyes sparkled as he bade them climb the gangplank and load their belongings aboard. He pulled in the plank once all were on board, their gear and ponies safely stowed. Then he bade old Beor, who sat on the dock fishing, to cast them off.

The sail, now unfurled, caught the wind, and they were off. But only he seemed to be smiling at the thought of it.

[ October 22, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]