View Single Post
Old 03-14-2003, 02:19 AM   #189
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Halfred struggled to his feet with the assist of Prim, and brushed the dust off his clothes. He picked his hat up from where it had tumbled in the dirt and thwacked it against his leg, setting the feather to quivering and sending up a great cloud of dust. Placing the cap firmly back on his head, Halfred called his men to attention and puffing up his chest like a great toad, looked Primrose Bolger square in the eye.

‘Mistress Prim, there’ll be none of your sharp tongue to turn my purpose aside today. I’ve received a complaint from a citizen of the Shire that one of the Big Folk has laid hands on a young Hobbit, in the attempt to do him bodily harm. And further it was said that an Elf also tried to attack the Hobbit with a knife.’ Halfred’s men came up behind him, weapons in hand, to back up his words.

‘Letter or no, from King or Mayor, I’ve come to put the Man back into the Locks, as is my responsibility as Shiriff. And along with the Man, I’ve come to take into custody the Elf, and lock her up, too.’

Cook gasped when she heard these words come out of Halfred’s mouth. She clutched Prim’s hand and gave it a squeeze, whispering in her ear. ‘You mustn’t tell them where’s she’s gone.’ Prim’s lips were set in a thin hard line. ‘Never!’ she whispered back.

Halfred and his men pushed past Prim and Cook, making for Mithadan . . .

[ March 14, 2003: Message edited by: piosenniel ]