View Single Post
Old 03-07-2003, 02:42 PM   #11
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Orual's Post

Pippin took off at a run the moment he heard the knock on the door--before, actually, as he had noticed footsteps approaching Bag End before their visitor even connected fist with wood. " 'Scuse me!" he shouted to Goldilocks as he flew past her, almost knocking her over. "Sorry!" he called over his shoulder. He would've stopped to see if she was all right, but she probably was, and anyway he had to tell his father as soon as possible that there was a visitor at the door. What if it was somebody important? His dad would have to know.

He hit full speed as soon as the second knock came, and tore into his father's study. "Dad! Dad! Somebody's here!"

Sam was already standing up and on his way to the door when his son came shouting in. He grinned at Pippin's proclamation. "Thank you, Pippin. Who is it?"

Pippin frowned. "Well, I don't know, Dad. But they're knocking pretty hard."

Sam laughed and clapped his son on the shoulder. "I'll go see. Thank you for telling me." He started for the door, and Pippin jumped like a rabbit out of the door to make sure that Goldilocks wasn't crying or anything--because then he'd be in trouble. She wasn't, but she was mightily indignant. Sam picked her up as he went to answer the door.

"Good morning!" he said as he opened it, and tried to mask his surprise when he saw Frodo. "Mr. Frodo! What a wonderful surprise!" Behind him, Sam could hear the mystery visitor's identity being carried down the Gamgee family grapevine, up Pippin to Rosie-lass all the way to Elanor and Miz Rose.

"Good morning, Sam," said Frodo. "How are you this morning?"

"Doing fine, though we had a bit of cleaning up to do last night." Sam and Frodo both looked at the children, and Goldilocks' ashen-brown hair, matted in one or two small places with pudding. Sam broke into a grin, and Frodo smiled as well. "Still have some to finish, apparently," Sam laughed.

"Apparently," Frodo agreed. There was a slight pause, and then Frodo spoke up again. "I was thinking that I could bring the children out for a walk, if you didn't have other plans."

Sam didn't answer for a moment, waiting for Frodo to say something along the lines of if you and Rose would like to join us, that would be great. But no such invitation came.

"Oh. Oh, yes, that would be fine," Sam said haltingly, twisting one of Goldi's curls around his finger. "I don't think we have any plans for today, do we, Rose?"

Rose had just come out with Hamfast, who was quite a mess after breakfast. "Hello, Frodo, lovely to see you this morning. No, we don't have any plans, and the children would love to go on a walk with you. I'll go get them ready."

Frodo thanked her, and Rose left. Sam and Frodo stood there for a little while. A minute or so had passed in uncomfortable silence when Sam finally broke it, his voice decided and firm.

"Well, Mr. Frodo, we haven't really gotten a chance to talk yet since you came...not really talk, if you see what I mean. So if you don't have any other plans, how would you feel about staying for a while after you bring the children back?"

There, he'd done it--Rose would be proud if she'd been there to hear it. Now that he'd said it, all he could do was wait until Frodo replied.

mark12_30's Post

Frodo looked at Sam, and hesitated. "If you're sure, Sam. I don't want to impose..."

Sam snorted. "I'm asking; you're not imposing. For heaven's sake, Mr. Frodo." His eyes held a plea.

"Sam... " Frodo softened, and hope sprang up within him, and he smiled. "Yes, Sam, thank you."

Pippin-lad suddenly appeared beside Sam. "I can go too, can't I, dad? "

Frodo laughed, and knelt on one knee, holding his arms out. The four-year-old boy launched himself out the door and into Frodo's waiting arms.

"I can't imagine you'll go far, " Sam began.

"Well, if Uncle Frodo is too slow, then Pippin-Lad can carry me pig-a-back, " Frodo said very seriously. Pippin squealed with laughter.

"Go round to your brothers and sisters, now, Pippin-Lad, and ask them if they would like to come. Hurry." Frodo smiled as Pippin bolted towards the garden, shouting orders at Frodo-Lad and Merry-Lad, and then in the backdoor calling for Elanor and Rose.

"You're sure about this, " Sam said, shaking his head.

"Yes. The two of you enjoy a little peace and quiet, " Frodo said. "I'll be trouble enough when I return."

[ March 08, 2003: Message edited by: Orual ]