View Single Post
Old 03-11-2003, 02:52 PM   #39
Envinyatar
Quill Revenant

Envinyatar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"I have spent much thought on the matter, and I have decided that such a position would we one that I am glad to accept. Will you have me?" Narwen spoke firmly to Yr Saldan, less of a question than a deferential acceptance of the leader’s offer.

‘I am very pleased that you have said this! But my plans for you have changed just a little.’ He pulled the map of Gondor and the Bay of Belfalas from its tube and spread it flat on the table. ‘We cannot afford to have you and your ships move up the Ringló River.’ He traced a route from the dock at Dol Amroth to Tolfalas, the isle just at the entrance to the Anduin River. ‘This is where Khazdifir and his ships are bound. I want you to take a letter to him and join your small fleet to his.’

He pointed upriver to Minas Anor. ‘Trusted sources here have sent me messages that those who hired us for this diversion will soon be moving to secure their seat of power in the White City. Aragorn has been kidnapped, and perhaps even killed by now, and the city is in disarray, leaving only the Queen and Prince Imrahil to deal with the chaos.’

There was a certain gleam in his eyes as he tapped his thick finger on the port just south of Minas Anor. ‘There is no reason we should not partake in the spoils due us for our assistance in this matter. The riches of Gondor are many. And Minas Anor is a fat goose ready for our plucking. The Prince and his troops and the troops of the King will be engaged in the battle for the city. If we sail swiftly up the river we can reach it in a fortnight. Disguise the ships as we did when we sailed into port here, as merchant vessels. Do not stop along the way to take on supplies, or let yourselves be seen closely by the peoples in the settlements along the way.’

He tapped his finger once again on Minas Anor, his thick yellowed nail seeming to pierce the heart of it. ‘Take what you can, in any way that you must and bring the treasures of the White City back to me.’