View Single Post
Old 12-29-2003, 07:28 PM   #64
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It seemed as though Melisil was about to leave, so Eruisto had begun to stand to bid her good night. Then she turned around, and, with a curious look, asked, "You said you're from Gondor?"

Eruisto was a bit confused by the question at first, but he had just asked her about her home, so it only seemed fair that he should answer a question about his own birthplace.

"Yes, my lady. I wasn't born in the White City itself, but just outside. My grandfather was a member of the guard, and my brother still is, under the King Elessar." Though he had not been in Gondor for several years now, Eruisto still said the name of the King with a special reverance bordering on awe. "It's a great country, especially now that we're under a king again."

He sighed, a proud smile tugging at the corners of his lips, and he looked at Melisil. "I may not be an Elf, but there's still honor and dignity left in Gondor. I think that the King has brought it out in us." He looked quickly at Melisil, hoping he hadn't said too much. He wondered if it was polite to speak of the rising of Men to an Elf. He hoped that he had not hurt her feelings. Not the type to often wait around and find out--that got him in trouble--he went right on over whatever comment Melisil might have had, if she had one at all.

"But even Gondor couldn't hold me forever, though I do long for Minas Tirith some nights, when I'm sleeping in a hay loft or a dry trough, I can feel the breeze and see the flags whipping around and the leaves of the White Tree rustling faintly..." Eruisto broke off and smiled apologetically. "But nonetheless, I'm here now. I do think I'll see the White Tower again, though. It calls to me sometimes." He glanced curiously at Melisil. "I guess you can understand that."