View Single Post
Old 02-08-2003, 01:15 PM   #208
Amanaduial the archer
Shadow of Starlight

Amanaduial the archer has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Amanaduial the archer
Eye

Hreeza heard Aireruthiel telling Khorbar of her secret. She couldnt help it; they were facing away from the wind, probably so the news wouldnt carry towards the rest of the group, so there was very little chance of anyone hearing, but no matter how quietly they spoke, from one who was the wind itself it is hard to keep secrets.

"You are a Ranger, like myself. You have seen as much of this Middle-earth as there is to see. We have been through the same things - both outcast by society, both simply tolerated rather than accepted or rejected. Elentari, Lorin - none of the others would be able to help me. They are not being chased by their pasts each day they live to see. There are no secrets for them. They are not unwanted."

Khorbar remained silent, shocked, as the other ended. She stared at him for a moment, pleading with her eyes for him to say anything before she threw her hood over her head and walked away with a sob, stumbling as she ran away from the dying campfire, into the darkness. Hreeza knew that people needed to be alone when sad, but it also turned to brooding, and that wouldnt do; also this was hardly the safest of places, so close to the dark land. Silently she followed the dark figure of the half elf until Aireruthiel suddenly slowed to a halt. She turned slowly and looked up into the air all around and then, to Hreezas surprise, gave a harsh laugh.

"Come on Hreeza, I know youre there. At least show me youre there." She called, her voice choked with tears. Hreeza raised an eyebrow- the elven side her surely was strong.

"Showing myself has always proved a little difficult, O Daughter of Two Races." She replied. Aireruthiel smiled briefly before it twisted with bitterness. "Aye, make jokes, Sprite, make jokes with other peoples feelings!" The last few words were raised to a shout. Hreeza would have taken a step backwards- if it had been possible, as she had been reminded that it wasnt.

"Well, jokes are often easier to make in times like these, O Sorrowful One." She said softly, her voice sadder now. "Easier than facing the truth, I think. I mean, I could, oh, lets see, smile sympathetically- oh no, wait, no I cant. Well then, I could put an arm around you- no, thats not possible with no limbs is it."

The half elfs expression changed as she heard a tone of bitterness that she had never before heard from Hreeza, but only slightly. Hreeza continued. "Yes, others have problems, Child. I am just sorry I heard yours."

The ranger sat down on the ground with a sigh, but her tears were now gone. "Khorbar didnt exactly take that well though; harsh words hurt."

"Harsh words from who? As he said, you werent exactly welcome towards him, nor even friendly. But I must ask, as did he...why now, so close to Mordor?"

Aireruthiel didnt answer for a moment and Hreeza actually wondered whether she had heard before she spoke very softly. "Because Im afraid. All my life I have been afraid, afraid of being found out...but the creature we will face..." She trailed off. Hreeza smiled and gave her small silvery laugh. "Well, Im glad Im not the only one, I was beginning to think I was letting down elementals! We are all afraid, even Arawil. But, as one who had seen generations of sadness and lost much said, sometimes to see the light you must face the darkness. And it os best you face yours soon." She sent the symbol of a smile into the half elfs mind and pushed her gently to her feet with a small gust of wind. "And also the sooner we face our dark enemy, the spawn of Ungoliant, the better. Come, let us get back, we must set off at dawn."

[ February 09, 2003: Message edited by: Amanaduial the archer ]