View Single Post
Old 11-24-2003, 01:26 PM   #71
Novnarwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Novnarwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Novnarwen Send a message via Yahoo to Novnarwen
Sting

Tanroth

"Okay, then. We'll do as Rostion suggestion. Seven horses are indeed, better than none at all. We will certainly be a bit delayed though...." Tanroth said.

The male Elf couldn't believe this; Two of the nine horses already picked up by someone? The thing he found oddest by this, was the fact that Garton seemed to have no idea whom it was. How could that be? Tanroth shook his head, while taking two of the horses' reins, leading them out of the stable. They had better not waste more time here. Rostion and Imthôlion took two as well; meanwhile Firiel leaded the last brown horse out of the small wooden building. As they started walking towards the Inn again, everyone still looked at Tanroth, questioningly.

"There should have been nine," he started, "I know it," he continued. The others didn't answer, and Tanroth could only imagine what the others might have thought that very moment. For his sake, this was bad news. It was probably bad news for everyone. "Maybe some Rangers that have been in town for a couple of nights....." Imthôlion suggested, but not very convincingly.. "Well, we can't exclude anything.." Imthôlion said, as Tanroth looked at him. The elf shrugged, wondering if anyone else had any theories.

They halted as they saw Erkaliel appear outside of the Inn, waving at them, looking pleased. Tanroth however, doubted that anyone would be really pleased when they arrived at the Inn, having two horses short! How was this even possible, he thought to himself, eying out of the corner of his eye, his companions coming out from the Inn now.

"Seven? But we're nine!"

That sentence rang in Tanroth's ears for five minutes before he could answer. "I am sorry, but I thought we were going to have nine horses as well. There's something wrong, I just can't figure out what," he said, trying to straighten up even though he was very disappointed and could hardly keep up his appearance.

"Well...?" It was Firiel, she tried to keep up the spirits by telling everyone about the advantages by having two horses short. "First of all, we'll leave fewer traces than what we would have, if we were riding with nine horses," she started. She continued, still speaking in a merry voice, but none seemed to listen very carefully. At last, Firiel asked if there was someone interested in sitting two on one horse.

"Anyone?" she asked, smiling.

At first no one volunteered, only Firiel and Rostion had agreed in advance that they would ride one horse together. Tanroth was just about to volunteer, but then Imthôlion and Erfalas raised their hands, and volunteered. Tanroth smiled, announcing that this meant they were ready to go.

[ 4:15 PM November 28, 2003: Message edited by: Novnarwen ]