View Single Post
Old 10-17-2003, 09:21 PM   #293
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Eye

Her hand touched his.

Falowik had been aware of Uien's hands, folded on the table, then unclasped, then one hand moving to his, acting for all the world as if it were metal drawn to magnet. The hairs on his fingers had risen in anticipation as he paid all the attention he could muster to the discussion with the hobbits. But all the while she was in his awareness. He knew where she looked, knew her expression, the meaning of her tone as well as her words, and he had felt her hand come nearer. Why not just surrender to it? he allowed himself to wonder, but knew the many answers by heart: not here, not now, he did not deserve her; and in any case, there was a life that maybe hung in the balance. The thought of Master Eodwine of Rohan served well to anchor Falowik safely between the deeps of his need and the shoals of his resolve.

He bent his fingers around hers, and smiled for her with his lips though not his eyes. He turned his attention to Doderic.

"Why wait for the morning, Master? We have learned what we came to learn here. The sun is still in the sky. Can we not make it to Bree by nightfall? Is that not what the Master of Buckland would want?" Uien's sudden frown was not lost on Falowik.

"Yes, the Master would like that best, and it could be done," Doderic mused, "though we'd not reach Bree by nightfall."

"Hold a moment!" Falco said. "If we'd not reach Bree by nightfall, what good is it to set out afore the morning? I say stay right here!"

"You may do what you like, Master," Falowik said, "but as the time slips away, Eodwine of Rohan stays lost, and maybe worse." Falco scowled.

"There's the Stonebow half way," Gorby ventured.

"What'd be the point of going half way if we can make it to Bree in just a couple hours more?" Falco protested.

Uien squeezed Falowik's hand. "She who has agreed to go with us will not be ready until tomorrow, and I should remain with her."

Falowik nodded. "So it should be, but I feel the hours slip away while I sit here, and I would be off to Bree to press on with our preparations there."

Doderic raised a hand. "I'm all for moving as quickly as we may, but one night in Bywater will not make a great enough difference, I deem. So let it be one breakfast here at dawn for Master Falowik, Gorby and me, and you also, Master Boffin, if you like, and then we're off to Bree."

Falco nodded and rose. "I have business to attend to that will keep me past the dawn, my friends, but you may expect me in Bree before nightfall tomorrow, if that meets with your approval, Master Doderic." Doderic nodded his approval, and Falco bid them good night with one last comment regarding the supposed need for Elven ladies in a search party in the wilds. Uien bit back a retort and turned her head away from the hobbit, looking to Falowik, who rose.

"The lady and I have pressing business," he told the hobbits. He nodded to Uien and she rose, and they walked out the front door of the Inn.

[ October 17, 2003: Message edited by: littlemanpoet ]